Recipe by Marie
I used Barilla's whole wheat thin spaghetti for this recipe and it is wonderful! Very light and very tasty. You can also substitute linguine or regular thin spaghetti.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 (6 ounce) canschopped clams
- 12 ounces thin spaghetti or 12 ounces linguine
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic lightly in olive oil over medium heat, being careful not to brown.
- Add tomatoes, sauce and basil to blender and blend until fairly smooth.
- Add mixture back to saute pan and add salt and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. (Tomatoes have sodium, so be careful with how much you add.).
- Drain one can of clams and add liquid only to sauce.
- Stir and bring to boil, lower heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Drain other 2 cans clams and reserve liquid.
- Cook pasta and about 5 minutes before it is done, add clams to sauce.
- If sauce is too thick add a little more of the reserved clam liquid.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and stir for a few minutes, then serve.