Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A yummy vegan quiche that goes well with green salad and tomatoes... good both hot and cold. I know the ingredients may seem weird, but it's delicious, almost like that mushroom/cream cheese quiche i used to eat as a lacto-ovo.
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 ounces extra-firm silken tofu (half of the pack)
- 2 tablespoons horseradish mustard
- 3 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a pan, sauté the onions and the mushrooms with a bit of olive oil and tamari sauce, over medium heat.
- When cooked, let cool down and put in a blender with all the other ingredients, except for the pie crust.
- Then put the smooth mixture in the pie crust and bake for 45 minutes.
I prepared this as written and did not like it at all. The flavor was okay but the texture was very mushy and the color was an unappealing brown. I wanted so much to like it as I cannot eat traditional quiche b/c of lactose intolerance.
This is excellent. I'm not vegan but I eat vegetarian and vegan foods quite often. Even as someone who is used to the regular eggy quiches, I quite liked this. :) I added in a bit of chopped bell pepper, just for a bit of extra colour and flavour - it was a good addition. Definitely will make this again. Thanks for another great recipe, MM! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's PAC]