Recipe by Kting
My friend Marie made this for a lunch recently and served it with Caesar salad and crusty French bread. It was fabulous!
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was super hearty and super delcious (or should I say "souper"?). It also makes a LOT so be sure to use a giant pot. I think it serves much more than 8. I didn't follow the cooking directions exactly, but I believe I maintained the spirit of the recipe. I browned my sausage and, when partially done, added the onion and carrots, to cook a little more. When done, I added the garlic for a minute before adding the tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and pepper. Once that was well combined, I added the chicken broth. I simmered that for about 15 minutes, then brought it to a boil again and added uncooked mezze penne pasta. I let that cook for another 10 minutes. Before serving, I added some parmesan cheese. A little of this soup goes a long way because it is so filling. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 2 lbs Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 (12 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (12 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cups cooked penne pasta
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh spinach, to garnish
- fresh grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (optional)