Recipe by Marie
I was looking for something easy to make for Sunday dinner and put together this casserole and let the oven do the work. The sausage was so juicy and really flavored the cabbage, potatoes and carrots beautifully.
Top Review by Gwen35
The aroma in my house while this was cooking was absolutely amazing! The only thing I changed was to add a bit of sweet onion and omit the first tbsp. of olive oil. I also cut the cooking time by a total of about 15 minutes. I will definitely make this again, but will prick the sausages and parboil them for a good ten minutes before browning them. I didn't use the oil to brown the sausage because I have a really good non-stick Dutch oven. The only thing I could find fault with was that, although the meal was great and the veggies were done to perfection, it contained far too much fat. I wonder if it would be as tasty with regular breakfast sausage? Thank you for a great meal idea, Marie.
- 4 links Italian sausage (about 1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 baby carrots
- 8 baby red potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy Dutch oven pan, saute sausage in olive oil until browned.
- Remove sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Slice cabbage into fairly large pieces and add to Dutch oven; stir to mix.
- Add chicken stock, baby carrots and potatoes and mix.
- Add sliced garlic and pepper and mix again.
- Add sausages to top of casserole, cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Stir once during baking, leaving sausages on top of ingredients.
- After 30 minutes, remove cover and raise oven temperature to 400° and bake for 15 more minutes to brown the sausage.