Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is a little of this and that from a few different recipes. Simple to make and delicious! The ingredients list may seem a little overwhelming and I wrote it out in very small precise steps so don't let that scare you away!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more if needed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb red potatoes, large diced
- 1⁄2 lb chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package ready-made pie crusts
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan saute celery, carrots and onions in olive oil until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil for 8-10 minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling unroll both pie crusts and sprinkle with water to moisten surface of crust. Sprinkle crusts evenly with the parsley, 1/2 teaspoons thyme, rosemary and italian seasoning.
- Place one crust, herbs facing up in the bottom of a 9" deep dish glass pie plate or a round glass 2 quart baking dish.
- Add salt and pepper, poultry seasoning, ground mace, 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme and white pepper. Season to taste.
- Add chicken and milk and return to low boil.
- Mix flour and 1/4 Celsius of water and stir into saucepan. Stir mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Add in frozen vegetables and continue to stir and cook until thick.
- Pour mixture over bottom crust, and top with remaining crust, herb side up.
- Mix egg and water in a small bowl and brush over the top crust. Use a fork to poke holes in top crust to ventilate and bake in preheated oven 30-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let cool as sauce with thicken as it cools.