Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wonderful apple pie, full of flavour with no added sugar. Sweet as a nut!
- 3 lbs apples (Ida Red or Jonathan Red, or any good pie Apple)
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk (for brushing)
- Peel and slice Apples.
- Dust apples with the Splenda and the Cinnamon, set aside.
- Line a greased, 9 inch Deep dish Pie plate with one of the pie crusts.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 stick Margarine, add flour to make a roux.
- Add apple juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened like a custard.
- Set Roux aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Arrange Apple slices in the Pie crust, heaped in the middle.
- Dot the apples with the remaining Margarine.
- Spread the warm roux over the Apples.
- Cover with the 2nd Pie crust, vent the crust and brush with skimmed milk.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.