Recipe by Poll_of_the_Purple_Ilk
An excellent coleslaw that keeps for weeks Marie was a lovely lady who was originally from Rocky Mount NC. She was kind enough to shsre this recipe with my mom many years ago.Then, the 50's, it had been handed down in her family for at least 5 generations.It was never a secret recipe, but one they thought enough of to pass on to successive generations. I have made small batches of this replacing most of the sugar with sugar substitute, but I would not trust the vinegar alone to keep it for more than a couple of days. Prep time is with food processor.
Top Review by Charmed
There is an amendment to this review at the bottom. Still 5 stars though! I had to cheat the next morning and sneak a taste, and if it was this good so early on, I can imagine how good it will be in another day. The flavor was very much like my favorite chow chow, which I rarely buy because it is so expensive. Which means now I can have the flavor any time I want! This is a fabulous cole slaw, and I never thought anything this fat free would be so darned good. I highly recommend trying itn. One note about the preparation ... the cabbage mixture does shrink quite a bit after just a couple of hours in the vinegar sauce, so if you have leftover cabbage that won't fit in the jar, just wait a couple of hours and you'll be able to pack in quite a bit more. Added later: I have had this coleslaw both as is, and have added mayonnaise as well to make a creamy slaw, and both are excellent.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 whole cabbage, shreaded
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vinegar and sugar over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cool, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Place in a large jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Refrigerate for several days, turning twice a day, before serving.
- Very good keeper.
- To serve drain amount needed for meal and dress with a little mayonnaise if desired.