Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I didnt really loved chicken nuggets as a non-vegan, but yesterday I had that incredible craving... And made those, with some inspirations from fellow PPK-ers (www.theppk.com forum). Yummy, served with some cajun baked fries, or sweet potato fries...
- 3⁄4 lb extra firm tofu, pressed, then cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk, for dipping
- 3⁄4 cup corn flakes, crumbled fine
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a food processor, put the tofu, dried thyme, nutritionnal yeast, lemon juice, onion powder and some salt and pepper, to taste. Pulse until well blended (or mash until crumbled very finely).
- Mix the cornflakes and the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Salt to taste.
- Put the soymilk in a small bowl.
- Form 18 small patties with the tofu mix. Dip in the soymilk then roll in the cornflake crumb --
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes --
- You can also freeze them before cooking. It will make the tofu chewier, and more nugget-y.
Yum!! Eating a giant plate of these right now! A bit heavy on the thyme for me, too, but still totally awesome! I love that you get a big crunch from the oven without frying.
No stars just yet. I want to try it one more time to give it a fair shot! Per other reviews, I cut down on thyme, but it was still waaaay too much for me. Will experiment with seasonings and report back!
These were really tasty! I thought the thyme was a little overpowering, so next time I'll cut down a little, but otherwise they were delicious. I didn't freeze them beforehand either, and I think I will try that also. I had to use Multi-Grain cheerios instead of cornflakes b/c that was what I had on hand. Much better than store-bought chik'n nuggets.