Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
When our daughter decided to enter 'Kinderfest' cooking competition in our hometown during Octoberfest, she was sure to win!!! Ah, but just a small glitch, her precious Black Forest Cake had shifted and was slightly lopsided!!! Ah, but she received a big reward from her parents, as we were so proud of our little girls achivement...
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 6 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 5 ounces cake flour
- 3 ounces ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 ounces cocoa
- 1 (28 ounce) canof cooked black cherries, stoned
- 1 1⁄2 pints whipped cream, to which the
- 2 ounces kirsch, have been incorporated
- grated chocolate
- maraschino cherry
- Sift the cocoa and the flour together and set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks and the sugar together and the mixture becomes light in colour.
- Add the warm water and mix well with an electric beater for about 5 minutes.
- Incorporate the cocoa/flour mixture to the egg yolks, with a spatula.
- Then, gently fold in the almonds.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Butter and flour generously a 10 inch springform mould.
- Pour the batter into the mould.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Unmold and let it cool for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cut the cake into 3 layers lengthwise.
- Spread some cherries and a layer of whipped cream on the bottom cake layer.
- Top with the second layer.
- Cover this layer with some cherries and cover with whipped cream.
- Add the third and top layer of cake.
- Garnish with the remaining whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with the grated chocolate and top with the maraschino cherries.
My cake did not turn out well at all. I think it was me. I followed the directions to the best of my ability, but cooked the cake in regular 9 inch pans instead of the springform (which I don't own). The cake turned out very dense and not cake-like at all. I also did not like the almonds in the cake. Hopefully someone else is a better baker than I.
This 5-star rating is for the _filling_ in this recipe which I used for my pull-a-bit-from-here-a-bit-from-there Black Forest Cake. Thanks for what looks to be a great cake-recipe -- certainly the filling was superb!