Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is, by far, the closest I've come to replicating Marie Callenders signature quiche.
For a 10- to 11-inch tart shell
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon plus a pinch table salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 4 tablespoons ice water
For a 12- to 12-1/2-inch tart shell
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 6 tablespoons ice water
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- salt (optional)
- onion powder (optional)
- celery salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chopped spinach
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese (apprx)
- 1 -2 tablespoon mozzarella cheese
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- FOR THE CRUST:.
- In a large bowl combine the flour & salt.
- Add the butter with fingers, rubbing until incorporated completely and water.
- Gather the dough by rolling it into a ball, being sure to collect any fallen dough from the corners.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a round ball. Roll the dough over your rolling pin and lift it over the tart pan. Unroll it loosely over the tart pan and gently press the dough into the pan without stretching it.
- Fold a bit of the excess dough inward to form a lip.
- Prick the bottom of the shell all over with a fork, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes or overnight.
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the foil, line the frozen shell with parchment or fresh foil, fill it with pennies or pie weights, and put it on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the sides are set, about 12 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights and continue to bake until the dough is just beginning to brown lightly, another 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack until needed.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the spinach and bacon ahead of time.
- Combine the eggs, cream, spinach, mozzarella, seasoning, and swiss in a food processor or bowl. stir until well-incorporated.
- Line the bottom of the pie crust(s) with a slight layer of cheddar cheese before pouring in the egg mixture.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 60 minutes until the egg mixture is set all the way through.
- Once the quiche is set; sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the quiche, sprinkle the remaining cheese over that.
- Re-heat the next day in the microwave, or eat fresh with veggies or a side salad and dinner roll.
Oh my gosh!
This tastes JUST like Marie Callenders! I made it for brunch with Mom, she loved it; thought it was bought straight from Marie Callenders ;) I added a little more cheese and had it with a side of caeser salad (to keep with authenticity), and it was great, thanks!