Recipe by Nana Lee
The original recipe is large, so you may want to halve the recipe or make the whole thing and freeze the rest. Good freezing recipe. From: Marie Callender's Restaurants Source: Ask Your Neighbor; Orange County Register 02/24/99 Marie Callender's is a chain of restaurants in the southwest (US). Sister companies are: Chi-Chi's restaurants, Taco Bell, Claim Jumper, El Torito and the Cheesecake Factory.
Top Review by ginafarrar
Great recipe, but I do make changes to this. I worked my way through undergrad as a waitress, so I know that at the rest. they use chicken stock somewhere, because I had to tell vegetarians about that when I waited on them. So, I boil the potatoes and veggies in chicken stock. I pour most of the liquid out when I puree, and I think this might solve the "too thin" problem described by the other reviewer. I also don't puree everything because the real thing has some pretty good size potato chunks in it.
- 8 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and chopped onions
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, onions, celery and salt in water to cover in a large pot.
- Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree just until chunky in blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Return to soup pot; add half-and-half, butter and cheese.
- Stirring, simmer until piping hot. (Do not boil.).
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Good served with cornbread.