- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk (I've used low fat, and even skim milk and they work fine, but the best is the whole milk!)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add the milk, shortening, and egg and mix only until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8x8-inch pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before slicing.
- Slice with sharp knife into 9 pieces.
- Serve warm with honey butter, if desired.
- For the honey butter, use a mixer on high speed to whip the butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy.