Recipe by Sharon123
I got this from Guy Fieri's cookbook, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Maria's Taco Xpress is a South Austin institution and it's fast food, Texas style. The locals rave about the food. Guy says the pollo guisado is a little bit sweet, spicy, tender, and crazy good!
Top Review by stonecoldcrazy
I loved the flavor of this dish, but even slathered with sour cream, I couldn't eat a whole portion because it was so spicy-hot. I don't know if I am a wimp or the chipotles were extraordinarily hot but it was a fiery dish. (even after I added some tomato sauce and a pinch of sugar!) I look forward to making this again and scaling way (way!) back on the chipotle.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (or your choice of cut)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, diced
- taco shell (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken in a saucepan with salted water to just cover. Bring to a simmer and cook until just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let cool, then shred the chicken.
- Place the tomatoes, chipotle sauce, cumin, garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoons pepper, 3/4 teaspoons salt, and 1 cup water in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until the onion is golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the chipotle mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and simmer unil the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the pollo guisado in crisp taco shells with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and shredded Cheddar cheese. Enjoy!