1/21 Photos of Marianne Baguette - Traditional Rustic French Bread
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
A traditional style baguette de Campagne - rustic French bread, which is easy to make and has lots of body - it is NOT like the usual light, supermarket produced baguettes of today. This bread can be started off in a bread machine if you wish. Marianne is the national symbol of France; she personifies Liberty, Reason & the Triumph of the Republic. She appears on stamps, government forms, town halls, law courts and the former French franc coins & banknotes; she even appears on high quality Label Rouge Baguettes and Pain!! Therefore, I have called this homemade French Bread/Baguette recipe after her.....it seems only right and proper!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the ingredients into the bread machine. Set to the dough programme and start. Grease a large baking tray & Pre-heat oven to 220C/400°F.
- 2Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto a floured surface and punch it down to deflate it. Shape dough into two long "baguette" shaped loaves and place on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with lightly oiled cling-film and leave to rise for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- 3Meanwhile, place an oven proof bowl containing water on the bottom of the oven to heat up. (About 250mls).
- 4Sprinkle top of dough with flour, then using a sharp knife cut 5 diagonal small slits across the tops of the baguettes.
- 5Bake for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 190C/375F and bake for a further 10 - 15 minutes. (If they start browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil on top.).
- 6Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- 7Eat immediately.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marianne Baguette - Traditional Rustic French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.7
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 963.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 17.6 g