Recipe by Marianna U. Kretschmer
2 elderly ladies used to make this "Kartoffelsalat", for the fish fries at our German Hall, when I was a little girl. My Mother spied on them to get the recipe, and I later watched her make it. It is very forgiving and versatile; even those who don't like potato salad, like this one.
Top Review by kbs
This was my first try at German potato salad and I though it was very good. I did make minor alterations. I used "better than bullion" from costso instread of bullion as that is what I had. I did not add oil. I also ate it the night I made it, so I only let it sit for an hour or so. It was supper yummy! I imagine the leftovers will be even better.
- 8 -10 medium idaho potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium kosher dill pickles or 12 hamburger dills, chopped
- 5 -8 chicken bouillon cubes
- white vinegar (I like it tart, so I do about 1/2-3/4 cup. You can also add more later.)
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 cup salad oil
- 2 -3 hard-boiled eggs, if desired (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Boil in a large pot, sprinkling about 1 tsp salt on top.
- Cover and let boil for about 20 minutes.
- Stab with fork to check for doneness.
- Meanwhile, chop the celery, onion, and pickles into a large bowl; set aside.
- Drain potatoes and let cool.
- Bring the bouillon cubes, vinegar, and pepper to a boil, mashing cubes until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, as soon as it boils.
- When potatoes are cool, peel them.
- Then slice them like thin potato chips, into the bowl with the celery, onion, and pickles.
- Combine it all, gently.
- Now add the "broth" gradually, folding it in, as you go.
- Pour a bit, then wait, and let the potatoes absorb it.
- Then add the oil, also gradually.
- Keep folding.
- Now you must let the salad"pull together.
- "Cover it loosely with plastic wrap, and stir it every hour or so.
- Do not refrigerate!
- Let him sit overnight.
- The next day, you can create.
- Stir him up again, and taste.
- Add oil, vinegar, pepper, bacon, even mayonnaise, if you want, but be careful with salt, as the bouillon is salty!
- Garnish with sliced hard cooked eggs, paprika, parsley, celery leaves, or what you like.
- Guten Appetit!