1 hr 20 mins
Marianna U. Kretschmer's Note:
2 elderly ladies used to make this "Kartoffelsalat", for the fish fries at our German Hall, when I was a little girl. My Mother spied on them to get the recipe, and I later watched her make it. It is very forgiving and versatile; even those who don't like potato salad, like this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 medium idaho potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium kosher dill pickles or 12 hamburger dills, chopped
- 5 -8 chicken bouillon cubes
- white vinegar (I like it tart, so I do about 1/2-3/4 cup. You can also add more later.)
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 cup salad oil
- 2 -3 hard-boiled eggs, if desired (to garnish)
- 1Scrub the potatoes.
- 2Boil in a large pot, sprinkling about 1 tsp salt on top.
- 3Cover and let boil for about 20 minutes.
- 4Stab with fork to check for doneness.
- 5Meanwhile, chop the celery, onion, and pickles into a large bowl; set aside.
- 6Drain potatoes and let cool.
- 7Bring the bouillon cubes, vinegar, and pepper to a boil, mashing cubes until dissolved.
- 8Remove from heat, as soon as it boils.
- 9When potatoes are cool, peel them.
- 10Then slice them like thin potato chips, into the bowl with the celery, onion, and pickles.
- 11Combine it all, gently.
- 12Now add the "broth" gradually, folding it in, as you go.
- 13Pour a bit, then wait, and let the potatoes absorb it.
- 14Then add the oil, also gradually.
- 15Keep folding.
- 16Now you must let the salad"pull together.
- 17"Cover it loosely with plastic wrap, and stir it every hour or so.
- 18Do not refrigerate!
- 19Let him sit overnight.
- 20The next day, you can create.
- 21Stir him up again, and taste.
- 22Add oil, vinegar, pepper, bacon, even mayonnaise, if you want, but be careful with salt, as the bouillon is salty!
- 23Garnish with sliced hard cooked eggs, paprika, parsley, celery leaves, or what you like.
- 24Guten Appetit!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mariannchen's German Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.0
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 1334.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 8.7 g