Recipe by Member #610488
This is a recipe out of my grandmother's recipe box from a newspaper clipping dated in the 1960's. I added the use of Mrs Dash since I really don't like lemon pepper, which was available in the 60's in a handmade version. A true Kelaguen would be more like Ceviche with the meat being "cooked" by the marinade but with chicken, it's better to fully cook it instead.
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix or 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄8 cup chopped green onion (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ground black pepper. Mix together.
- Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and dispose of marinade.
- Broil or barbecue chicken for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear.
- When chicken is cooked, remove bones and dice chicken meat.
- Put diced chicken in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and salt and mix together.
- Add the coconut, 1/3 cup green onions and Mrs. Dash/lemon pepper. Mix all together then top with green onion garnish and serve.