Recipe by ReadyForThe80's
I like this recipe because it's a good way to use up packages of Maria cookies that would otherwise be wasted. I have made this twice so far with the cookie-crumb bottom. The first time I made it following the recipe, and the second time I added a couple tablespoons of cocoa to the cream+milk mixture and crumbed the packages of cookies and made a paste with the coffee and mixed it into the cream+milk mixture which I find looks better than the original preparation. My man said he likes the cocoa version better. I find this cake has a subtle taste, predominantly tasting like Maria cookies. I don't even notice any coffee flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup 35% cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 envelopes of unflavoured gelatin
- 1 (800 g) boxmaria cookies (box of 4 packages, 34 cookies per individual package)
- 2 cups strong coffee
- 34 cookies
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until it thickens.
- Slowly combine the condensed milk to the cream.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the unflavoured gelatine according to package directions.
- Once the gelatine is ready, pour it into the cream and condensed milk mixture and mix it well.
- Line the entire bottom of a cake pan with cookies.
- Add a layer of the cream and milk mixture on top of the cookie base.
- Using a slotted spatula, individually soak the cookies in the coffee and layer on top of the cream+milk layer.
- Alternate layers of cream+milk mixture and coffee-soaked cookies.
- Top with any remaining cookie crumbs if desired.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before cutting portions/serving.
- *Alternate cookie base: Finely crumb 1 34-cookie package and mix in 1 egg. Firmly press into bottom of cake pan to create a base. Bake for 5 minutes in a 350F oven for about 5 minutes. Turn off oven but let the base cool inside the oven while you prepare the rest of the cake.