Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Secrets of Hungarian Cooking
- 1 tablespoon fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef rump, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- Saute onion in fat. Pull pan aside and stir in paprika.
- Cube and season beef with salt and pepper.
- Put in pan with bay leaves. (THIS SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF BAY LEAVES; I MIGHT TRY IT WITH 1 BAY LEAF).
- Cook until juices form; then add water and continue cooking for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Just before serving, add sour cream.
- Serve with dumplings, mashed potatoes or rice.
I needed to add more liquid to this several times before the meat cooked long enough to be tender (a couple times I added beef broth and a couple times I just added more water) and I didn't use quite the full 1/2 pint of sour cream (maybe a tbsp or so less). This was the most flavorful Paprikash I've ever had and with the sour cream it actually tasted quite a bit like stroganov which is one of my favorites.