Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I haven't yet made these but everything Margo has given me has been great so I am sure these will be as well
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 354.88 ml milk
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 177.44 ml sweet potatoes or 177.44 ml yam, cooked and mashed
- 59.14 ml black walnut, chopped
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl; add milk and oil, mixing well.
- Stir in sweet potato.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring until well blended.
- Beat room temperature egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into waffle iron (oil iron if not non- stick) and sprinkle with a few walnuts.
We loved these waffles! I boiled a medium sweet potato and mashed it by itself. It would also have worked quite well if I had used some leftover seasoned mashed sweet potatoes. Even though I have a Cuisinart nonstick Belgian waffle maker, I still coated the waffle iron plates with vegetable oil with a silicone basting brush (and used that brush to sweep off any residue that clung to the waffle iron plates. I would set the waffle iron between 2.5 and 3 for desired brownness. I got 10 individual waffles from this recipe, using about 1/3 cup of batter in each section. I'm so glad I tagged these for Photo Tag!