Recipe by -Patrish
This is a delicious cookie that comes from my Mom's recipe files. My Dad's favorite cookie and one I made a lot as a teen. Mom says the original recipe came from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.
Top Review by Sea-town Chef
The copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook has been completely smeared for the Hermits page, as my family has made them so many times. Glad to have it in recipezaar. Thanks for typing up my favorite cookie recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, softened (I always use butter or margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup coffee, cold
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, brown sugar and egg together thoroughly.
- Stir in cold coffee.
- Sift together and stir in the flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Mix in raisins and nuts.
- Chill (do not cover).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drop dough with teaspon 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until a light touch with finger leaves almost no imprint.