Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This was submitted to the Houston Chronicle for a pie contest.I dont recall how it placed, but this is an awesome pie!I rarely make any other kind of apple pie. Please do not be put off by the fact that you bake it inside of a grocery bag..it seems odd, but you will be rewarded with a fantastic pie.
For The Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water (more if needed)
For The Pie Filling
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 -6 large mcintosh apples, peeled and sliced. (or Jonathan, Winesap, Rome or Granny Smith Apples)
For The Topping
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- For The Pie Crust: Before making the pie crust, put mixing bowl, utensils and rolling pin (if made of marble) in freezer beforehand for best results.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend flour, salt and shortening with a fork.
- Add water until a good consistency of dough is formed.
- Roll out with a rolling pin and place in 9 in pie plate (deep dish).
- Bake for 10 to 12 mins.
- For The Pie Filling: Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir into apple slices.
- Combine topping ingredients until coarsely mixed.
- Spread topping across apple slices.
- I usually place teaspoonful amounts scattered across the top of the pie filling as thats what it looked like in the picture.
- Place pie in large brown paper grocery sack.
- I usually fold the top edges down once and then use three paper clips to keep the fold in place and the heat in.
- Put entire bag on a cookie sheet.
- Make sure that the bag is not touching top or sides of oven.
- Bake for one hour at 425 degrees.
This pie was awsome - DH loved it!
This was good, used 1/4 c oatmeal & 1/4c flour in the topping, turned out really nice
Excellent sweet tart apple pie that would be great warmed with a scoop of vinilla ice cream on top. I used Granny Smith apples in it.I particularly liked the way the topping spread out and formed the top crust. Pay close attention to the time. I left my in for 63 minutes and it was a deep brown. A few more minutes and it would have burnt. Thank you for sharing.