1 hr 15 mins
Peggy Lynn's Note:
This was submitted to the Houston Chronicle for a pie contest.I dont recall how it placed, but this is an awesome pie!I rarely make any other kind of apple pie. Please do not be put off by the fact that you bake it inside of a grocery bag..it seems odd, but you will be rewarded with a fantastic pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Pie Crust
For The Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 -6 large mcintosh apples, peeled and sliced. (or Jonathan, Winesap, Rome or Granny Smith Apples)
For The Topping
- 1For The Pie Crust: Before making the pie crust, put mixing bowl, utensils and rolling pin (if made of marble) in freezer beforehand for best results.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Blend flour, salt and shortening with a fork.
- 4Add water until a good consistency of dough is formed.
- 5Roll out with a rolling pin and place in 9 in pie plate (deep dish).
- 6Bake for 10 to 12 mins.
- 7For The Pie Filling: Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- 8Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 9Stir into apple slices.
- 10Combine topping ingredients until coarsely mixed.
- 11Spread topping across apple slices.
- 12I usually place teaspoonful amounts scattered across the top of the pie filling as thats what it looked like in the picture.
- 13Place pie in large brown paper grocery sack.
- 14I usually fold the top edges down once and then use three paper clips to keep the fold in place and the heat in.
- 15Put entire bag on a cookie sheet.
- 16Make sure that the bag is not touching top or sides of oven.
- 17Bake for one hour at 425 degrees.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margie Cadena's Bag Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.2
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 374.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 45.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g