This is our favorite pizza topping--very simple, delicious and relatively healthy. I buy a ball of dough from a local grocer to save time and effort, but feel free to use any dough of your preference.
- 14 ounces pizza dough, prepared
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced thin into rings and then separated
- 3 -4 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, dried
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into thumb-sized pieces (or 1 cup shredded mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Form dough to a medium pizza stone or pan per package instructions.
- Brush surface of dough with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with garlic.
- Arrange separated onion rings evenly atop garlic, leaving 1/2-inch space for pizza edge.
- Arrange tomato slices atop onions, overlapping slightly for maximum coverage.
- Sprinkle basil and red pepper flakes atop tomatoes and pizza edge.
- Arrange mozzarella evenly atop tomatoes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese atop mozzarella and pizza edge.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden, and cheese begins to bubble and brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice into eighths, serve and enjoy!