Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this the other night as an appetizer for company. Very good if you are looking for something to nibble on.
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 (10 ounce) canpillsbury prepared pizza crust
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 6 medium Italian plum tomatoes, cut into 20 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Place oven rack in lowest position.
- heat oven to 425°F.
- Spray 15x10x1 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Unroll dough; place in the cornmeal coated pan.
- Starting at center press dough out with hands to edge of pan.
- Brush dough with oil; sprinkle evenly with garlic.
- Place crust in oven on lowest rack; Bake at 425°F for 6 to 8 minutes or until set and dry.
- Remove crust from oven.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over the partially baked crust.
- Arrange tomato slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle with half of the basil.
- Return pizza to oven on lowest rack; bake an additional 12 to 17 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown.
- Sprinkle remaining half of basil over pizza.
- Cut into 20 squares.
- Serve warm.
I made this pizza last night for dinner. I didn't have fresh tomatoes so I opened a can of diced and also substituted fresh mozz. cheese. Everyone loved it! Very tasty and easy to make. I am glad I have left over mozz. cheese since I will be maiking this again soon.
This was the first margherita pizza I've ever made--so simple and sooo yummy! I used a whole wheat crust from Trader Joe's and the olive oil and garlic on the crust really made a huge difference in taste. I can't wait until tomatoes are in season to try this with some really fresh tomatoes. Will definitely be making this one again!
Loved it! Used field tomatoes as I didn't have plum ones and it turned out nicely. The crust was homemade and quite thin so I prebaked it for 4 minutes so it wouldn't be too crispy. This pizza was wonderful for lunch!