Recipe by 2hot2handle
One of my co-workers gave me this recipe years ago, and now it's a staple. We just don't feel like it's summer until we've eaten some. We usually eat it for dinner, but it's equally good for breakfast or brunch.
Top Review by Littleolmee
Since the Heavens have showered our garden with an endless supply summer, I was literally one zucchini away from making zucchini milkshakes and zucchini hashbrowns just to get rid of the darn things, but luckily this recipe came along just in time! I added six medium sliced bella mushrooms, 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper just to give it a kick, halved the amount of salt, and used only 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard. I also found that using just one tbsp of olive oil to saute all the zucchini and onions wasn't enough, so I added unsalted butter also (the combo is great--the olive oil gives the benefit of a higher burning temperature and the butter adds flavor, and I saute all my vegetables this way.) The flavor of the Dijon mustard on the crust was an excellent addition. Surprisingly, this was even better the next day instead of right out of the oven, and if I didn't have my husband to share this with I literally could have eaten this entire thing myself, in one sitting...super delicious and one of my new favorite recipes for zucchini. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (or use oregano)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 prepared pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute zucchini, onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Stir in parsley, herbes de provence, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs and then add the cheese to the beaten eggs. Pour into the veggie pot and combine.
- Spread dijon mustard on bottom of pie crust. Add zucchini mixture to crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes.