Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My Mom taught me to make this gingerbread when I was about 5 and starting to bake; she almost always made fresh french bread on the weekends and Dad made the best fried green tomatoes :our grocer in Milan got them in from the countryside for him.
- in a large mixing bowl cream together butter & sugar.
- add egg & beat well.
- add dark molasses.
- in a separate bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
- add alternately with milk to creamed mixture blending well.
- pour into greased 8" x 8" x 2" pan or in round 9" or in muffin pan.
- bake in moderate oven 350 for 45 minutes [test by inserting a raw spaghetti: it has to come out dry].
- cool in pan 10 minutes, move to cooling rack to finish cooling.