Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Visiting my Sister-in law Marg in Cornwall over Easter was great. What was a bonus was to go home with her prize cake recipe. I will share it with you. It's top-notch and easy to make for having a few friend in for tea or coffee on a Sunday afternoon.
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped for decoration
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, on top of icing for decoration
- Beat eggs with white sugar and add vanilla. Slowly incorporate flour, soda and nuts. Add the juice of 1 can of crushed pineapple slowly. In the end add the crushed pineapple.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes in a 13x9x2 buttered and floured pan, or teflon pan sprayed with Pam.
- Soften cream cheese with margarine until soft. Add vanilla and stir slowly icing sugar and the cream cheese.
- Spoon the icing on cake when the cake has cooled down completely. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to decorate.