Recipe by dalechampia
Tasty but not treacly like many store-bought granolas. My friends always ask for this granola when they visit from out of town. A friend from England shared it with me and I modified slightly.
- 12 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat germ (untoasted)
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups roughly chopped walnuts or 2 cups almonds or 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup canola oil or 1 cup other mild vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2⁄3 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly heat the honey in a microwave for 30 seconds or so until it is runny.
- Dissolve the salt in the hot water.
- Combine the honey, salt, water, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl then stir in the wet incredients and mix well.
- Turn into a large roasting pan, about 16" x 13" x 3".
- Bake for 20 minutes without stirring.
- Thoroughly stir mixture every 5 minutes thereafter until browned to your preference.
- *Toasted wheat germ will get too brown so use untoasted. Buy it refrigerated from your health food store rather than off the shelf if possible. It gets rancid quickly.