Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A unique Cuban dish literally translated as 'Old Clothes' because the finely shredded flank steak resembles a pile of laundry...My favorite Cuban dish to include in the Holidays or just to show off Cuban Cuisine.
- 453.59 g flank steak
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 stuffed green olives
- 28.39 ml sugar
- 28.39 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml red wine
- 226.79 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 14.79 ml Sazon Goya seasoning
- Brown the flank steak and then transfer to crock pot or deep roast pan.
- Sautee' green peppers and when softened, add onion, and garlic and seaxonings.
- Once softened, add tomatoes. Stir together and pour over flank steak.
- Add red wine to mixture and stir inches Flank steak should now be fully submerged in the sauce.
- Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce afterwards to simmer and cook for an hour, occasionally stirring the Ropa Vieja.
- After an hour, remove the meat from the liquid and let sit for ten minutes.
- Taking two forks, create super stringy strips out of the flank steak by scraping and moving the forks through the meat. The meat will naturally separate into stringy pieces.
- Return the stringy flank steak back to the liquid,.
- Add raisins, green olives and sugar. Simmer covered another twenty minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice. http://www.cubancuisine.co.uk.