1 hr 45 mins
Simple tart made with margarita mix containing no tequila. The tart dough is based on one from Cooks Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the tart shell:.
- 2In a food processor, process the flour, salt (1/4 teaspoon extra is used because of the nature of the filling, for any other sweet tart application, this would be 1/2 teaspoon), and sugar. Add the shortening and butter and process the mixture until there are no visible butter chunks left, approximately 8-10 long pulses.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and water. Set aside.
- 4Place the flour mixture into a large bowl and add the egg yolk mixture. Mix together with a spatula until it comes together. Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- 5Roll out tart dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan or ring. Make sure the sides are not too thin and that the bottom meets the sides at a 90 degree angle (so there is not a lot of dough in the corners where the bottom meets the sides). Roll the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to clean any dough off of the rim.
- 6Place the tart shell in the freezer for at least 1/2 hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 8Remove the tart shell from the freezer and press two sheets of aluminum foil across the tart pan. Press the foil into the pan so that it is form fitting and no dough rim is exposed. Dock the foil and dough with a fork only a few times. Place pie weights, dry beans or rice into the tart pan.
- 9Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake the tart shell for 10 minutes, rotate pan and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove tart shell from oven, remove the pie weights and foil and place the tart shell back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- 10For the tart filling:.
- 11While the dough is in the oven, in a large bowl, whisk the 4 egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and margarita mix.
- 12Pour the mixture into the hot tart shell and return to the oven. Turn the heat down to 350°F.
- 13Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and cool.
- 14Serve chilled.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margarita Tart
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.8
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 150.1 mg
- Sodium 326.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 33.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: