Recipe by Vicki in CT
Great light desert. From Southern Living Magazine many years ago. Everytime I make these they receive rave reviews.
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime rind, grated
Pecan Lace Shells
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 pecans, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- grated lime rind
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling:
- Sprinkle gelatin over tequilla and liqueur in small sauce pan; let stand one minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Stir in lime rind, juice, food coloring. Cool.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy then gradually sugar and gelatin mixture beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Pecan Lace Shells:.
- Cook first three ingredients in sauce pan over high heat stirring constantly until mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- Add flour, pecans, vanilla and blend well.
- Drop batter by level teaspoons onto well greased baking sheets, spacing about three inches apart, baking only three at a time. (I attempted these using Silpat and it does not work using this material!).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pan for one minute. Grease handle of long wooden spoon and lay across two mugs. Working quickly place cookies over handle of spoon, allowing ends to drape and resemble taco shells-cool. Remove. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Shells may be made up to three days in advance and stored in airtight container. Remember however they are very delicate.
- To assemble tacos:.
- Spoon or pipe filling into individual taco shells. Garnish with lime rind to resemble lettuce. To simplify can just make filling and serve in parfait glasses.