Lise in Indiana's Note:
The flavors of a margarita - tequila, orange and lime - are blended in a tossed salad of fresh shrimp, diced avocado and sliced red onion, spiked with a creamy, spicy sour cream dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (30-40 per pound)
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly slivered
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 2 medium endives, cored and torn into pieces (2 cups)
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- lime wedge
Creamy Lime-Chile Dressing
- 1Toss shrimp, tequila, orange zest, lime zest and salt in a medium bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and some ice; let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to use.
- 3Meanwhile, make Creamy Lime-Chile Dressing by whisking all dressing ingredients together.
- 4Toss romaine, endive, orange segments and the drained onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Toss avocados with lime juice and divide among the salads.
- 5Drain the shrimp, reserving the marinade. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide among the salads.
- 6Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring; then spoon over shrimp.
- 7Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
- 8Note: dressing will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks - also great as a Caesar salad dressing on romaine with croutons and Parmesan shavings.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margarita Shrimp Salad
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.6
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 180.7 mg
- Sodium 688.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: