Recipe by Bergy
Quick cooking keeps the shrimps tender, do not over cook. Tastes great over the raw red onions. Easy, quick main course. The blend of flavor with the tequilla, lime and cilantro is so Mexican
Top Review by Mille®
These are lovely. I used larger tiger shrimp (just my preference - it means fewer shrimp to peel and clean!) and a couple of drops of orange extract as I didn't have any liqueur on hand. Had a few ounces of leftover crabmeat from a couple of nights ago, so I threw it in with the cooked shrimp. Thanks for this one, Bergy.
- 1⁄4 cup gold tequila or 1⁄4 cup white tequila
- 1⁄2 teaspoon graterd lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lb shrimp (25 per lb size)
- 3 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur (more, your choice)
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pyrex/glass bowl mix the tequilla, lime peel, lime juice, water, honey, and pepper Pour tequilla mixture into a non stick fry pan.
- Add shrimp and cook over medium high heat until the shrimp are pink 3-4 minutes Transfer shrimp to a bowl and keep warm.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil and reduce to 1/3 cup.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in the liquor (don't do this too quickly you want the alcohol to evaporate but still keep the flavor) While you are doing all this (or ahead of time) thinly slice the red onions and arrange the onions in a single layer on a platter, spoon the shrimp and liquid over the onions.
- Season to taste, garnish with sprigs of cilantro& lime wedges, if you wish.