Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Savory seared scallops, sizzled in a margarita made with tequila, lime and chiles. Served at Chevys Fresh Mex in San Diego.
Top Review by Vicki in CT
As a true lover of cilantro, it pains me to say this, but the cilantro overpowered the sweet delicacy of the scallops in this recipe. The scallops were perfectly cooked, and I loved the margarita/cilantro sauce, but just not together.
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb large scallop
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fresh lime, quartered
- 3 teaspoons fresh cilantro, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the ingredients, except the scallops and olive oil,in a blender or food processor.
- Taste the mixture and add more jalapeno as desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the scallops in cold water and pat dry.
- In a non-stick saute pan oer high heat, heat the olive oil just until smoking.
- Add the scallops to the saute pan and seaar well without stirring or tossing.
- Add the citrus mixture to the pan and bring to a boil.
- When the liquid reaches a boil, turn the scallops and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove the scallops, cover to keep warm and reduce the sauce to half its original volume over high heat.
- Divide the scallops among the plates.
- Pour the liquid from the pan directly over the plates.
- Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.