Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use good quality tequila.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal (or blue cornmeal)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt (optional)
- Position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare muffin tins: spray indentations and the rims with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt until well combined; set aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk the egg and sour cream until smooth.
- Whisk in the tequila, orange juice, oil, lime juice, and zest until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full; if desired, sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt over muffin top before baking (coarse salt gives the topping a little bite; if you don’t like margaritas in salt-rimmed glasses, you probably should omit this).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and cracked.
- Set pan on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes; gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove from tin.
- Cool muffins for 5 minutes on the rack before serving.
- *Margarita Pumpkin Seed Muffins: add ¾ cup toasted, shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) with the flour.
- *Sugar-Topped Margarita Muffins: omit the coarse salt; sprinkle the muffins with ½ teaspoon coarse or colored sugar before baking.
my family thought they were to plain for all the ingredients.