Recipe by weekend cooker
Fresh lime zest and course sea salt mimic the flavors of a margarita in this treat that kids and adults will love. Cooking time includes frezing time..
Top Review by SharonChen
I ate these wonderful sandwiches as a meal. The combination of lime sherbet and vanilla ice cream was a PERFECT match for this recipe! The only down side about it was a little hard to bite. I think it's because I made the cookie part too thick. Will cut them thinner next time! Great recipe after all!!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 teaspoons grated lime rind, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon couse sea salt
- 2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups lime sherbet, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter, and sugar in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, 1 tablespoon lime rind, and limejuice, and beat 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flour, bsking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon table salt, and stir with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions, and shape each portion into a 6 inch log.
- Wrap logs individually in plastic wrap, and chill 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each log into 16 (1/3 inch slices) and place one inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the cookies evenly with remaining 2 teaspoons lime rind, turbinado sugar, and sea salt.
- Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 2 minutes on pans on a wire rack.
- Remove from baking sheets, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Place vanilla ice cream and sherbet in a medium bowl, and lightly fold and swirl together.
- Scoop 1/4 cup ice cream mixture onto bottom of one cookie.
- Cover each sandwich with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.