Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 28 mins
Cook 42 mins
A bright and sweet citrus marinade gives this grilled flank steak real zing, making it the perferct partner to rich and cheesy black bean enchiladas. The natural acidity of the tomatillos keeps the avocados' vibrant green color from turning brown. Cuisine at home eRECIPES, July 29, 2010 newsletter. Quickly grilling flank steak over searing heat to medium-rare is the secret to keeping the flavorful cut of meat tender without drying it out.
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 30 ounces black beans, drained & rinsed (2 cans)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
FOR THE MARINADE AND STEAK
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup tequila (we used Jose Cuervo Premium)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, diced & seeded (add seeds for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- sour cream (garnish)
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup husked & chopped tomatillo
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano chile, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- TOMATILLO GUACAMOLE: May be made up to 2 days ahead.
- Pulse avocados, tomatillos, spinach, cilantro, water, lime juice, jalapeno and scallion together in a food processor until slightly chunky, season with salt - if necessary.
- MARGARITA FLANK STEAK & MARINADE:.
- Preheat oven to 425F; coat a 3-qt baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Saute onion in oil in a saute pan for 5-6 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute then stir in beans. Crush with a poato masher until chunky. Add broth and reduce until liquid is evaporated & stir in goat cheese - the broth and the cheese will make it creamier.
- Roll each tortilla with 1/3 cup bean mixture; lightly press the filling as you roll to the end. Place in the prepared dish, seam side down.
- Top with Jack cheese & bake until cheese melts melts, 20 minutes.
- Combine juices, tequila, brown sugar and salt for the marinade in a resealable plastic bag. Add steak, marinate 15 minutes.
- Grill, covered, 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and rest 5 minutes before slicing. Slice on an angle against the grain for the most tender results.
- To serve: spoon Tomatillo Guacamole on plates, top with enchiladas and steak slices.
- Garnish with sour cream.