1 hr 10 mins
A bright and sweet citrus marinade gives this grilled flank steak real zing, making it the perferct partner to rich and cheesy black bean enchiladas. The natural acidity of the tomatillos keeps the avocados' vibrant green color from turning brown. Cuisine at home eRECIPES, July 29, 2010 newsletter. Quickly grilling flank steak over searing heat to medium-rare is the secret to keeping the flavorful cut of meat tender without drying it out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 30 ounces black beans, drained & rinsed (2 cans)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
FOR THE MARINADE AND STEAK
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup tequila (we used Jose Cuervo Premium)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, diced & seeded (add seeds for extra heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or more)
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks
- sour cream (garnish)
- 1TOMATILLO GUACAMOLE: May be made up to 2 days ahead.
- 2Pulse avocados, tomatillos, spinach, cilantro, water, lime juice, jalapeno and scallion together in a food processor until slightly chunky, season with salt - if necessary.
- 3MARGARITA FLANK STEAK & MARINADE:.
- 4Preheat oven to 425F; coat a 3-qt baking dish with nonstick spray.
- 5Preheat grill to medium high.
- 6Saute onion in oil in a saute pan for 5-6 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute then stir in beans. Crush with a poato masher until chunky. Add broth and reduce until liquid is evaporated & stir in goat cheese - the broth and the cheese will make it creamier.
- 7Roll each tortilla with 1/3 cup bean mixture; lightly press the filling as you roll to the end. Place in the prepared dish, seam side down.
- 8Top with Jack cheese & bake until cheese melts melts, 20 minutes.
- 9Combine juices, tequila, brown sugar and salt for the marinade in a resealable plastic bag. Add steak, marinate 15 minutes.
- 10Grill, covered, 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and rest 5 minutes before slicing. Slice on an angle against the grain for the most tender results.
- 11To serve: spoon Tomatillo Guacamole on plates, top with enchiladas and steak slices.
- 12Garnish with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margarita Flank Steak With Tomatillo Guacamole
Serving Size: 1 (2823 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.8
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 43.9 mg
- Sodium 607.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: