Recipe by xpnsve
Yummy!!! From the Wilton website.
Top Review by Just Call Me Martha
Excellent. The flavour is not too strong - just right. I made these into little cocktail cupcakes, complete with a little slice of lime, white decorating sugar to represent the salt and a little green straw. They were a hit. Note: I also used this same recipe and substituted Strawberry Daiquiri mix and they were equally delightful.
- 517.37 g box white cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
- 283.49 g can frozen margarita mix, thawed (undiluted)
- 3 egg whites
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml grated lime zest
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 29.58 ml key lime juice
- 4.92 ml key lime zest or 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 946.36-1182.95 ml confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, Margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil using electric mixer.
- Stir in lime zest; mix completely.
- Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
- Bake according to box directions (usually 325 degrees - be sure to check box!) 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.
- FOR ICING:.
- In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, juice and zest with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time; continue beating until light and fluffy.
- If icing is too thin add additional confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.