Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
Yummy!!! From the Wilton website.
Make and share this Margarita Cupcakes With Key Lime Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
- 1 (10 ounce) can frozen margarita mix, thawed (undiluted)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 -5 cups confectioners' sugar
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, Margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil using electric mixer.
- Stir in lime zest; mix completely.
- Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
- Bake according to box directions (usually 325 degrees - be sure to check box!) 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely.
- FOR ICING:.
- In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, juice and zest with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time; continue beating until light and fluffy.
- If icing is too thin add additional confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
Excellent. The flavour is not too strong - just right. I made these into little cocktail cupcakes, complete with a little slice of lime, white decorating sugar to represent the salt and a little green straw. They were a hit. Note: I also used this same recipe and substituted Strawberry Daiquiri mix and they were equally delightful.
I did follow Chef #1517654's tips & used Frozen Limeade instead of the Margarita mix b/c that was what I had on hand... Turned out fantastic! Thanks for a keeper!
These are delicious! To make them the way I like my Margaritas, I added a sprinkle of kosher salt to the tops of the cupcakes. Also, I dyed the icing with green & yellow food coloring. Thanks for a very fun recipe for Cinco de Mayo!