Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
These lively tasting cupcakes are full of the flavor of the Southwest's favorite drink -- except no alcohol! This is a large recipe and comes from the people at Wilton. Unfrosted cupcakes freeze well.
- 517.37 g package white cake mix (no pudding in mix)
- 283.49 g can frozen margarita mix, thawed (undiluted)
- 3 egg whites
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml finely grated lime zest
- 396.89 g package icing, mix (use creamy white buttercream)
- 4.92 ml fresh lime juice
- 9.85 ml finely grated lime zest
- lime twist
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the cups of a 12-cavity muffin pan with liners. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, thawed margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil with a mixer and beat until well blended. Stir in the lime zest.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3s full; you will use half the batter. Bake 22-24 minutes. Remove when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 5-8 minutes. Remove from pan and complete cooling.
- Line the cups of the muffin pan again with liners. Repeat filling the liners with remaining batter. Bake and cool as above.
- To make the icing: prepare icing mix according to package directions, stirring in the lime juice and zest.