Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 mins
These lively tasting cupcakes are full of the flavor of the Southwest's favorite drink -- except no alcohol! This is a large recipe and comes from the people at Wilton. Unfrosted cupcakes freeze well.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix (no pudding in mix)
- 1 (10 ounce) can frozen margarita mix, thawed (undiluted)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 (14 ounce) package icing, mix (use creamy white buttercream)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- lime twist
- Line the cups of a 12-cavity muffin pan with liners. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, thawed margarita mix, egg whites and vegetable oil with a mixer and beat until well blended. Stir in the lime zest.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3s full; you will use half the batter. Bake 22-24 minutes. Remove when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 5-8 minutes. Remove from pan and complete cooling.
- Line the cups of the muffin pan again with liners. Repeat filling the liners with remaining batter. Bake and cool as above.
- To make the icing: prepare icing mix according to package directions, stirring in the lime juice and zest.