1 hr 5 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
Be sure to eat the worm! I have also made this without the glaze, and just drizzled the liquid glaze ingredients over the cake and topped that with either Cool Whip Lite, or by sprinkling a little confectioners' sugar over top (rather than mixing it all together - I am not a big fan of glazed frostings, although I have reduced the sugar in this one so it's not so sweet). I use fat-free, sugar-free pudding, and I replace 1/2 the oil with unsweetened applesauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec or 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 tablespoon triple sec or 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 gummy worms
- green decorator sugar (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350F; grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- 2CAKE: Beat together the cake and pudding mixes, eggs, oil, water, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup tequila, and 2 tablespoons triple sec in a large bowl.
- 3Pour cake batter into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or whatever your cake mix box recommends; or until the cake is set and tests done (a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- 4Cool cake for 10 minutes before pouring the glaze over top.
- 5GLAZE: While the cake is baking, combine confectioners' sugar and one tablespoon each of tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in a small bowl.
- 6Mix together until smooth.
- 7Pour over warm cake as directed above in the cake instructions.
- 8GARNISHING: While the glaze is still wet, sprinkle the cake with green decorating sugar (this is optional, but highly recommended since it really does dress up the cake- if you choose to top the cake with Cool Whip, powdered sugar, or another frosting, put the sugar on after you frost or dust it).
- 9Serve each piece of cake topped with a gummi worm!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margarita Cake
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 425.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 35.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: