Recipe by fabulicious
recipe I found on bettycrocker.com and wanted to save. Sounds like a delicious cake for a cinco de mayo celebration!
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 18 ounces white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups bottled nonalcoholic margarita mix
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- additional lime zest, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening and lightly flour (or spray bottom with baking spray with flour). In medium bowl, mix pretzels, sugar and butter. Sprinkle evenly on bottom of pan; press gently.
- 2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, margarita mix, oil, 1 tablespoon lime peel and the egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pretzel mixture.
- 3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown and top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping; sprinkle with additional lime peel. Store covered in refrigerator.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 375°F Decrease oil to 1/4 cup; use 4 egg whites.