Old, old recipe given to me by my Canadian cousin so very many years ago. I've been making this since I was teeny-weeny. It's an old-fashioned simple recipe, but ever so good.
- Scald milk in a saucepan. Add butter to melt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add sugar gradually and beat well.
- Sift flour, then measure. Sift flour again with baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add vanilla extract to scalded milk.
- Add dry ingredents to egg/sugar mixture and beat well. Add liquid ingredients and beat well until all is incorporated well.
- Pour mixture into an 8-9" square pan.
- Bake at 350-degrees Fahrenheit for 25-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread the Broiler Topping over warm cake.
- Place cake under broiler for 2 - 3 minutes to brown lightly.
- BROILER Topping:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar until melted. Add the coconut and if desired, add the walnuts. Add the whipping cream and mix well to distribute.