Recipe by ForeverMama
Old, old recipe given to me by my Canadian cousin so very many years ago. I've been making this since I was teeny-weeny. It's an old-fashioned simple recipe, but ever so good.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Thank you for sharing your beautiful recipe ForeverMama. It reminds me of a cake that my grandmother and mother use to make. Thank you for the lovely memories.My dh was over the moon, about this cake. We usually share cakes that I make with the neighbors but this time, he said no sharing...he wanted it all, but he had to share with me. I made this cake as written but left out the nuts due to dh's allergy. This recipe, makes a delicious, moist, tender cake, with a perfect crumb, that is big on flavor. The Broiler Topping is most definitely the icing on this cake. Tastes like a cross between fudge and caramel with coconut. I can imagine how great it is with the nuts. Make this treat, you will not be disappointed. Made for Photo Tag.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sifted flour (minus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald milk in a saucepan. Add butter to melt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add sugar gradually and beat well.
- Sift flour, then measure. Sift flour again with baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add vanilla extract to scalded milk.
- Add dry ingredents to egg/sugar mixture and beat well. Add liquid ingredients and beat well until all is incorporated well.
- Pour mixture into an 8-9" square pan.
- Bake at 350-degrees Fahrenheit for 25-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread the Broiler Topping over warm cake.
- Place cake under broiler for 2 - 3 minutes to brown lightly.
- BROILER Topping:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar until melted. Add the coconut and if desired, add the walnuts. Add the whipping cream and mix well to distribute.