Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Old, old recipe given to me by my Canadian cousin so very many years ago. I've been making this since I was teeny-weeny. It's an old-fashioned simple recipe, but ever so good.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sifted flour (minus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Scald milk in a saucepan. Add butter to melt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add sugar gradually and beat well.
- Sift flour, then measure. Sift flour again with baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add vanilla extract to scalded milk.
- Add dry ingredents to egg/sugar mixture and beat well. Add liquid ingredients and beat well until all is incorporated well.
- Pour mixture into an 8-9" square pan.
- Bake at 350-degrees Fahrenheit for 25-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread the Broiler Topping over warm cake.
- Place cake under broiler for 2 - 3 minutes to brown lightly.
- BROILER Topping:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar until melted. Add the coconut and if desired, add the walnuts. Add the whipping cream and mix well to distribute.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful recipe ForeverMama. It reminds me of a cake that my grandmother and mother use to make. Thank you for the lovely memories.My dh was over the moon, about this cake. We usually share cakes that I make with the neighbors but this time, he said no sharing...he wanted it all, but he had to share with me. I made this cake as written but left out the nuts due to dh's allergy. This recipe, makes a delicious, moist, tender cake, with a perfect crumb, that is big on flavor. The Broiler Topping is most definitely the icing on this cake. Tastes like a cross between fudge and caramel with coconut. I can imagine how great it is with the nuts. Make this treat, you will not be disappointed. Made for Photo Tag.