Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is so very different from the one already posted on this website. How can you go wrong with fruit and whiskey? Found on Irish Abroad, a recipe by Margaret Johnson. Can't wait to try it. If you don't feel like baking, this colorful make-ahead dessert is just the ticket. PREP TIME DOESNT INCLUDE REFRIGERATION TIME
- 2⁄3 cup mccann's irish oatmeal, quick-cooking (not instant)
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream (whipping)
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt or 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- Chill four 8- or 9-ounce stemmed glasses.
- To toast the oatmeal: Preheat the oven to 350°F Spread it out on a baking sheet. Bake, shaking the pan at 5-minute intervals to prevent burning, for 15 minutes, or until toasted. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Put the hulled strawberries in a large bowl and mash, or pulse a few times in a food processor. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in the yogurt or sour cream, the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar, the whiskey, and oatmeal.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the strawberries into the bottom of each glass. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the oatmeal-cream mixture over the berries. Repeat the layers.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, or until set. At serving time, divide the blueberries on top of each.