Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
My Mom made one of the best Sour Cream Coffee cakes that I have ever tasted. I've tried other recipes and none of them were as moist as my Mom's. If you are looking for a moist and delicious Sour Cream Coffee cake, well look no further and make this one. I've added a couple of variations at the bottom. My neighbors son always asks me when I am going to make him this cake with the chocolate chips.
Top Review by Marie
I made this to take to an Easter brunch and was very disappointed in that it was too dry a cake even though I was very careful to not overbake it. Also, there is way too much sugar in the sugar cinnamon mixture in my opinion. I used only half the amount and it was plenty.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter, add sugar, eggs, vanilla and sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until combined, do not overmix. This batter will be thick.
- Spoon half the batter into a greased and floured 10" bundt pan. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture on top and spoon the remaining batter on top.
- Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and invert onto a plate. Cool for another 20 minutes and place the cake into a large plastic bag which really makes the cake moist.
- For variations:.
- - add walnuts or pecans with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- - spread chocolate chips in place of the sugar/cinnamon mixture as this tastes excellent.