Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
Another of my Mom's excellent recipes. This is a perfect potatoe casserole if you are having 12 people over for supper and the taste is great. Cut the recipe in half to serve a smaller group of 6. This dish can be prepared the day before and then refrigerate until ready to use. Bring it to room temperature before placing into the oven, otherwise the cooking time will increase.
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen hash browns
- 3⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups grated medium cheddar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup water, makes it creamier (optional)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup margarine, hash browns, pepper, salt, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, grated cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup water to make it creamier (optional).
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place mixture in this pan.
- Combine crushed corn flakes with 1/4 cup melted margarine and sprinkle over top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.