Prep 15 mins
Cook 60 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix (to add later in the recipe)
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape into large meatballs.
- Brown in bacon drippings and remove to a platter.
- Add flour to drippings and cook until it is dark brown.
- Add remaining soup mix and water.
- Season to taste.
- Return meatballs to gravy and simmer, covered for one hour.