Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From TOH Holiday recipe guide
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or use a butter flavored non stick spray to save calories)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Flatten chick to 1/3 inch thickness.
- Place one cheese slice on each piece of chicken and roll-up tightly then secure with toothpick.
- Place flour, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Coat chicken with flour, then dip in eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place seam side down in an ungreased 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Cobmine the butter and oregano and drizzle over the chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear (180 degrees).
- Discard toothpicks before serving.
O'kay did not do as quite directed but I hate pounding out chicken and rolling it so just slit it and tucked in the cheese slices and followed through but the breasts were large and the cheese leeched out more than I would have liked so if doing again with such large breasts I would give them 2 or 3 slits and stuff the cheese into each slit and make as directed. I did use a mixed herb mix into the breadcrumbs to season them and then :oops: realized I forgot to add the oregano to the butter but honestly don't think it was needed. Thank you HokiesLady for a recipe that I will venture with, made for Went To Market.
These were really good! My chicken breasts were really big, so ended up only making four. Used Jarlsberg cheese instead of mozz. because that is what I had on hand in a slice-able cheese. Will make again!
Mine turned out looking just like Nimz's photo! But I did use the smaller amount of butter, and skipped the oregano. I really enjoyed these, they were moist and juicy, and the cheese added a little bling! Thanks so much for posting. Made for Zaar 123 Special 4 December Tag 2008!