Recipe by Peggy Lynn
I won a local cooking contest(Vegetable Category)with this spin on a retro BH&G carrot recipe. Hope you enjoy
Top Review by Linda's Busy Kitchen
Delicious!!! I couldn't wait to try these carrots, and they were a big hit with all of us. Even my friends grandson loved them and he is a very fussy eater! I loved the cheesy sauce, and I will be having this again many times. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Peggy! Linda
- 2 lbs carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine (I use butter)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup additional parmesan cheese, to top the casserole with
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel Carrots; slice crosswise on the bias.
- Cook, covered, in boiling salted water, until just tender, about twenty minutes.
- Drain thoroughly (this is really important).
- Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter,blend in flour, dry mustard, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly (This requires a bit of time).
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Combine cooked carrots and sauce.
- Turn into a one and a half quart casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and sprinkle with up to one half cup of additional parmesan cheese (depending on your taste).
- Bake,uncovered, for five more minutes or until desired browning is achieved.